This box design is intended for Budding – Soft Splits, Observation and normal splits. It also has a honey super section.
- Timber: Cypress (with Pine lid)
- Timber Thickness: 35mm
- Design: Utility – Combination: Budding / Observation / Splitting
- Internal Volume: 6.8 litres
- Brood Supports: 10mmm Cypress cross bars
- Separator Plate: Clear Acrylic – Multiple separator plates
- Coating: Exterior Paint
Starting with three standard frames 280mm x 200mm
Each frame has been routed to hold the thin Perspex viewing window. The windows can be removed as a new frame layer is added…
There’s multiple configurations. The lid can be placed on any one of the three boxes…
The pine lids are completely painted for good sealing…
Below – An example of the connection using black tube to direct the bees through the new Budding Box. To start off with you could just use the bottom box with the Perspex window and lid on top. As the new box fills with structure you can add a new box layer and still observe them through the clear Perspex and place the lid on top. These bottom boxes have a hole in the rear as well as the side so there’s options, it depends what position suits your hive location.
The different configurations, or progress stages…
- Stage 1 – Bottom box with lid to start off with.
- Stage 2 – Once the bees start building structure, and hopefully create a new queen and start with the brood. You might then unblock the main hive plug to give the bees the choice to leave via the first exit or continue to the Budding box.
- Stage 3 – Once the brood is well established and the hive is going strong you can add the Honey Super box layer.
- The bottom box has three entrance holes. The front hole is the main entrance and exit. Then there’s two options for inserting the Budding tube connecting from the old hive box, either at the rear or side. Which ever one you choose you can block the unused hole.
- Each box layer has a clear acrylic viewing window so you can check the progress without disturbing the bees.
Below – a couple of Budding Tube Adaptors. These can be screwed to the front of an existing hive at night…
These are made regularly and may be available on the shop page – http://nativebeehives.com/product-category/hives/